Sunday, March 14, 2010

signs of spring

Spring is trying to make an appearance here but with the continual dusting of snow we've been getting lately, it might be a few more weeks before I can venture outside without my warm coat. But today the birds are singing and the sun is shining through my window as John Denver's "Sunshine On My Shoulders" plays in my head.

I celebrated my one-year anniversary in Moscow a few weeks ago and have been reflecting how fast time has flown by here. I get asked all the time how long I've been in Russia and the explanation gets a little complicated. When I reflect on how this country has been a part of my life for the better part of a decade, it just blows my mind. Recently I visited an old friend in Vladimir who showed me recent pictures of orphan 'kids' I worked with my first summer here. All of them are young adults, some married with children (!). My mind immediately flashed to the picture on my bedside table of my 'family group' from the first summer I worked with these same kids. What memories!

The past few months have been a time of decision-making: deciding to make the trip home for the greatest surprise party for my parents 60th birthdays, deciding where to go for New Years (Finland!), and whether I should stay here another year or head back "home." It was with much prayer and reflection that I made the decision to go back to the US after my teaching contract (and work visa) expires this July. I don't know exactly where I'll be/what I'll be doing but I've been given these words: "Be still and know that I am God." That's all I need to know for now so I wait with anticipation for what comes my way (and any contacts/ideas people want to throw my way!).

turtle riding on the Bay of Finland, Helsinki


with a Swede and two Finns, Stockholm


the gang's all here! surprise party 01/30/10


after record snowfalls in February


Kameshkovo "family group" at Krutoyak camp, 2002

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.