Monday, August 21, 2006

last roadtrip of the summer

I traveled to Mississippi to see friends from Moscow and on my "way back" decided to drive all the way to the gulf coast. Here are images from Gulfport, MS. The landscape was such a contrast that included dilapidated structures alongside the new or refurbished buildings. Next week marks a year since Katrina struck this coastline and everywhere I drove, from Biloxi to Mobile, were reminders of her distruction and the effects on the surrounding communities to this day.

I thought of a verse in Hebrews that talks about the removing of created things so that "what cannot be shaken may remain" that is, the kingdom of God through Jesus Christ. It's still really hard though to see this mess and think of God's plan through it all. Then some song lyrics came to mind (imagine that)and helped me: "earth has no sorrow heaven can't heal..." (be the first to guess who sang them, and I'll buy you an ice cream cone)



2 comments:

JustJoshin said...

Viligantes of Love sang that verse -- one of the songs you gave me :)

Anonymous said...

That's crazy, the element in its fury and majesty. However, from the pics and your words I can tell that that place is soon to be entirely rebuilt. It'll probably be even better that what it used to be. Sometimes to make something better you have to destroy it.